Latest Candidate: Plastic Clothes Tags


The latest candidate to be subjected to BIN 101 has been nominated by regular reader and fabulous blogger Just Gai. It's the silly little plastic tag that's used by several high street stores to give their clothing range that more upmarket edge. Here's what Just Gai had to say on the matter.

"The other week I bought a dress in the Per Una section of M&S. I don't often shop there but it was a bargain - reduced from £45 to £15 - and I couldn't resist. However, when I unpacked it at home I discovered that, in addition to the card swing tags displaying size, price and washing instructions, it also carried a completely useless plastic tag. M&S are doing their bit to reduce waste for which they are to be commended, but they could do with losing these pointless tags."

There's no sitting on the fence for me. The Per Una clothes are lovely as they are and don't need any useless tat to prove it. At least the thread they use is fine and that can biodegrade in the composter, but come on, do we need the plastic tag?

So what do you think folks...shall we send Just Gai's contender to BIN 101? I think so, but it's not up to me. Go place your vote now.

And if you really want to follow up on more labelling misdemeanors, why pop over and see what Mrs G had to say about her July Dustbin Demon, the thin plastic tag strip. Whatever happened to the sewn in label eh? No tag, no plastic, just some very thin card.

12 comments:

Blony said...

Here we go, Here we go again, same time, same place, Now you tell me, That she is just a friend! Here we go!!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I wanted to pop by and say hi and to say thank you for commenting on my blog.

In Canada all tags have to be in English and French, so quite often they are twice the size than they should be so they can fit both languages on the tags, so very, very wasteful.

Gill in Canada

Healthcare and IT Professionals said...

I am please to know about to the Plastic Clothes Tags.You have doing nice job in blogging.Keep writing, Happy blogging.
Plastic Card

Unknown said...

Adding a tag to your plastic clothes will definitely gives you an edge in the market.
Plastic Card

Unknown said...

The silly little plastic thing can change it all. It can be very stylish.

adPrint

Esther Montgomery said...

It's the first time I've visited your blog and have, so far, only read one post (the one I'm commenting on) . . . but,already I'm confused. Reading through the comments, it seems you have readers who assume this issue is trivial or funny.

I don't.

Sometimes, the numbers of labels attached to a garment are so numerous, they almost amount to a mini-book. And the only purpose of these little lumps of plastic, as far as I can see, is to increase sales for scissor makers because they have to be cut off.

I think the best thing for those who don't think it matters might be to be to see if they could be given a tour of the factories where such clothes are labelled and packed. If we look at little scraps of paper and plastic they seem to amount to nothing - but when we look at their source, when they are all together and un-dispersed, that is another matter!

As well as the plastic tags to secure labels, there are sometimes bits of attractive (rustic) string and pretty bits of ribbon. Seeing the reels they come from would, I imagine, be illuminating too. Saddened by the waste, for a while, I saved these little lengths of this and that - but I don't have any use for them . . . so they went in the bin after all.

Esther Montgomery

Esther Montgomery said...

Aaagh - this is an old blog with only three posts! Why? Is there a newer version? I was just thinking of writing a post on one of blogs so people would know about this and might join in.

Were you dispirited by the responses? What happened?

Esther

Zafran ali said...

I really impress of your new Plastic Clothes Tags,You have done so nicely job.Thank,s for great sharing.
Plastic Card printing

Zafran ali said...

Gorgeous Tags,You have done absolutely brilliant job......:-)
plastic business cards

Anonymous said...

Plastic Clothes Tags are looking fabulous....
Plastic Card
Plastic card printing

Anonymous said...

I really impress of your new Plastic Clothes Tags,You have done so nicely job.Thank,s for great sharing.
Scratch Card Printing

Unknown said...

The plastic business cards are the cards which are replacing the old fashioned paper cards due to their reliability and durability. Due to their good design and attractive looks they are capturing the market.